Friendly Sat 7 August Cheshunt Stadium
  • Charles (35')
St Albans City
  • Mukena (52')

The Ambers started this match with the press they employed against Royston very much in evidence, forcing St Albans City out of their stride & taking the first pass available not the best pass. Neither keeper was troubled in the first 30 minutes, both taking on a sweeping role & being available to move the ball out of the back line in the opposite direction.

Kenny Charles broke the deadlock just before half time when a tackle from captain Ola Williams broke to Enock Ekongo who fed Reece Beckles Richards on the Ambers right side, Beckles Richards wriggled free of the attention of the Saints left back & crossed deep, Kenny Charles beat the Saints centre half into the air, and headed back across the goalkeeper whose weight was all moving in the opposite direction to the ball.  1-0 Cheshunt at half time.

St Albans came out with more purpose at the start of the second half and started to look like a National League South side with passes finding their target quickly and decisively, they forced a number of dangerous free kicks & corners in quick succession and it was from a corner Jay Mukena headed powerfully into the net via the fingertips of Ambers keeper Charlie Taylor who got to the ball, but not enough to force it around the post or over the bar.

Joe Re’s shot from the edge of the box whistled past the Saints right hand post as Cheshunt sought to restore the lead, Charlie Taylor made a great reaction save to prevent a volleyed shot putting Saints ahead, then it was Saints keeper Michael Johnson’s chance to shine as Ambers striker Charles was put through on goal and had two bites of the cherry, foiled by Johnson smothering both on target shots.

Multiple substitutions from both sides  gave fresh legs the chance to run at tiring defences, Ayoub Cherradi roamed to the edge of the box and went for a spectacular volley of a cross from Jaffra Jah, and Zane Barton was forced to shoot early and subsequently wide as Charlie Taylor narrowed the angles quickly. The final action saw Saints Shaun Jeffers advance on the left and shape to bend a shot into the far corner, but saw his effort clear the bar comfortably.

A challenging but very beneficial last pre season match before next weeks League Opener versus East Thurrock United.