Velocity Trophy 3rd Round Tue 22 February Cheshunt Stadium
  • McKenzie (21')
  • Roberts (40')
  • Crowther (69')
  • Re (72')
Brentwood Town
  • Nzala (52')
  • Ogunleye (70')

The Ambers continued their good cup form with a convincing 4-2 win over Isthmian North team Brentwood Town on Tuesday last.  After two matches falling to the weather the Ambers were keen to get back to competitive football and the opening quarter showed it.  Mo Camara starting in the nine shirt was a handful for the experienced Brentwood back line and this bought debutant Kayne Diedrick Roberts and Zack Newton into the game with opportunities to run at defenders.

Cheshunt pressure forced a number of corners, and on twenty minutes Taylor Mackenzie called for & won his header to score low in the bottom left corner.

Former Amber Connor Hogan was busy in the Brentwood midfield & former Ambers striker Ash Nzala looked back to his best and a threat up top. However it was the Ambers who doubled their lead when Mo Camara flicked a throw in to Joe Re who rolled his marker & played a cross field pass forty yards into the path of Kayne Diedrick Roberts who collected the ball in his stride and rifled a shot low into the same corner Mackenzie had found.   2-0 to Cheshunt at half time.

The second half saw Cheshunt adjust with Mo Camara carrying a slight knock, Reece Beckles Richards replaced him. Brentwood had reorganised too and were pressing higher up the pitch, their energy was rewarded when Cheshunt sought to play the ball out of the back, a pass to keeper Preston Edwards had him stretching & as his touch took the ball away Nzala nipped in, with his back to goal he took the ball further away to deny Edwards the opportunity to recover, and then clipped a goal bound shot over the stranded keeper to halve the deficit.

Cheshunt tightened up at the back & the pace of the impressive Diedrick Roberts & Zack Newton had Brentwood backing off defending their box again, conscious of the space behind a high line, another Cheshunt corner was the cue for a three minute goal spree. Another deep Diedrick Roberts corner was initially cleared, but only as far as the corner taker, he returned the ball back to the far post & Adam Crowther stole in to head home from close range and a tight angle.

Brentwood restarted, a pass into Nzala with his back to goal was controlled and he timed a reverse pass into the feet of Daniel Ogunleye as he ran into the Cheshunt penalty area, Edwards came out to meet him but the winger managed to pass the ball into the corner past his outstretched left arm, deficit back to one, but not for long, the kick off saw Cheshunt move the ball initially backwards before Adam Crowther launched a longer ball forward, Brentwood initially dealt with the threat, but Joe Re picked up the loose ball centrally, ran at the defence and played a tight 1-2 with Beckles Richards, continuing his run beyond the defence to shoot unimpeded and restore the two goal cushion.

Cheshunt can be pleased with the steady stream of chances created throughout the match, they could have had more goals in the closing stages, but the four were enough to see them through to a tie v Bowers & Pitsea in the 4th round, a match v Haringey Borough away in the the last eight of the competition the prize to the winner.