Isthmian League Premier Division Sat 26 February Cheshunt Stadium
  • Liburd (71')

Isthmian League Premier Division

Cheshunt FC 1 v Kingstonian FC  0

Theobalds Lane

Saturday 26th February 2022

Kick-Off- 3pm


Cheshunt started the day in 10th Place in the Isthmian Premier Division, with the chance to close the gap on the team above them, Carshalton Athletic.

The sun shone brightly over Theobalds Lane as Kingstonian kicked us off for the first half.

The Ambers started with intent, winning their first corner just 3 minutes into the game. The away side sustained substantial pressure in the opening 10 minutes. Cheshunt’s strong start continued, winning a series of corners, challenging the Kingstonian defence, but failing to test their keeper, Serine Sanneh.

As the 15-minute mark approached, Kingstonian at last managed to retain some possession after Cheshunt had dominated the ball pretty much from kick-off. The visitors launched a couple of attacks, however never looked too threatening, as they failed to get the ball past the Amber’s defence.

Chances were few and far between for majority of the first half. Home team midfielder Amadou Kassarate forced an effort on goal , as did Rowan Liburd. The striker, who has returned to the club permanently, saw his headed effort just slide wide of the post.

Kingstonian did pose a threat from set play as the Ambers conceded a free kick outside the area on their left flank. The ball was floated in to the far post , but Enock Ekongo reached highest to clear the danger, giving his keeper little work to do.

As half-time neared, the Ambers had massive claim for a handball in the penalty area, with the players and fans in dismay at the referee’s dismissal of their claims, waving play on to continue.  Cheshunt had plenty of possession in the first half but the quality and final ball needed in the final third had just been missing. The teams went into the dressing rooms level  at half-time with work for the managers to do.


Before the second half got under way, Cheshunt were forced into a change, with Goalkeeper George Marsh being substituted through injury (a muscle strain) being replaced by England C international Preston Edwards.

Kingstonian looked more dangerous moving forward as the second half got underway, but the Cheshunt defence continued to put on a very strong display.

Kingstonian number 10 Walter Figueira had his first shot of the game, getting it on target to bring keeper Preston Edwards  into action, he got down well to gather the ball and make a comfortable save. Kingstonian continued their pressure,  enjoying more of the possession briefly and they won a free kick after some good build up play. Fabio Saraivo was the man on set-pieces for the away side, he saw his effort from the right fizz across the box with no one making a connection.

The Ambers absorbed  the pressure from Kingstonian well and then went back on the offensive, they were eventually rewarded for doing so. Jamie Reynolds picked up a ball which was played beautifully into the box by Amadou Kassarate. The midfielder was a force all day in the middle of the park, cleaning up and moving the Ambers forward towards goal. His pass found Reynolds perfectly on the edge of the area, and Kingstonian goalkeeper Serine Sanneh misjudged and mistimed  his advance and moved towards Reynolds a little too quickly. Reynolds was brought down in the challenge, advantage was played  and the ball fell to number 9 Rowan Liburd, who was available to stroke the ball  home from close range to give Cheshunt the lead.

As the clock ticked towards full-time,  Liburd found himself with another opportunity, after some good link up play between himself and Reece Beccles-Richards. Beccles-Richards played a brilliant inside pass into Liburd which he got a hold of as he unleashed a powerful shot from just outside the box. The K’s keeper Serine Sanneh managed keep Liburd’s effort out, parrying it away from goal.

Cheshunt saw the game out comfortably, it was a game in which they always just had the edge, but could have slipped up.  They take a much needed 3 points and a second win into their game on Tuesday, against local rivals; Potters Bar.