Isthmian League Premier Division Tue 26 December Cheshunt Stadium
  • Nwachuku (78')
Enfield Town
  • Youngs (20')
  • OwnGoal (67')

Enfield Town were 2-1 victors over Cheshunt in the A10 El Classico on Boxing Day, despite a goal from Nnamdi Nwachuku and a late flurry of chances for the Ambers.


Cheshunt 1.            Nnamdi Nwachuku (74’ pen)

Enfield Town 2       Sam Youngs (14’), Jimmy Wallace (67’ OG)

Attendance 1149  (The first four figure attendance for a League match since the 1968/69 season)

Cheshunt piled on the pressure in the first few minutes, however, the first big chance fell to Enfield. A strike from just inside the box from Reece Beckles-Richards was blocked expertly by Jimmy Wallace before it could trouble Joe Rose. Eight minutes in, Beckles-Richards went close again as his acrobatic effort from the edge of the box went just wide of the post.

Enfield broke the deadlock after 20 minutes as Marcus Wyllies’ strike from the right was parried by Joe Rose into the path of Sam Youngs. He was there to tap home at the far post for his fourteenth of the season.

Beckles-Richards had his third chance of the game as he tested Rose with a powerful effort at his near post. Minutes later, a long throw from Joseph Payne worked its way into James Richmond on the edge of the box, but his improvised effort went just over Rose’s bar.

Cheshunt didn’t have their first shot of the game till 34 minutes. There was some great work down the left from Nnamdi Nwachuku who found Nathaniel Orafu on the edge of the box, but he blazed his shot well wide of the mark.

Cheshunt started to look dangerous in the final ten minutes of the half, Sol Baugh started to get more involved down the left He had an attempt but it was dragged wide of the near post.

The last big chance of the half fell to Enfield as Wyllie somehow managed to get in-behind Raul Da SIlva, but he couldn’t find a way past Rose in the Cheshunt net.

Despite the Ambers’ improvement in the second half, Enfield made it 2-0. A long ball over the top from Enfield caused some confusion between Wallace and Rose. Wallace headed the ball over the goalkeeper which allowed Wyllie in on goal. However, the ball went in before he could get a touch so it went down as an own goal.

Half an hour into the second half, Cheshunt were given a lifeline as they were awarded a penalty after Baugh was brought down in the box. Nwachuku slotted it calmly into the bottom right corner, sending Enfield keeper Rhys Forster the wrong way. Less than a minute after the goal, Enfield looked set to make it 3–1. Beckles-Richards got in behind the defence and forced Rose into a brilliant save down to his right, stopping an almost certain goal.

Wallace almost redeemed himself, as a cross in from Ambers debutant Michael Kedman found its way to Wallace, who headed just wide of the post. Cheshunt were getting closer and closer to an equaliser, coming closest as substitute Andre Godfrinne hit the inside of the post, however, his endeavours were in vain as the assistant referee flagged for offside. The final chance for the game was a late effort from Baugh cutting in from the left, however it was comfortably saved by the Enfield keeper.

Despite the defeat, there were some promising signs for the Ambers, especially in the second half.  Craig Edwards’ side take on Margate on Friday evening, which is now a huge game for both sides.