Isthmian League Premier Division Sat 27 January Cheshunt Stadium
  • Nwachuku (66')
  • Noel-Williams (88')

Cheshunt get their first win in seven and their first clean sheet of the season in a 2-0 victory over Whitehawk on Saturday. Goals from Nnamdi Nwachuku and Isiah Noel-Williams earned the Ambers their first three points since the win at Carshalton Athletic at the beginning of December.

Craig Edwards made three changes from the Velocity Cup match v  Billericay on Tuesday. Chevron McLean came in which meant Finlay Tichmarsh could move back to right back after playing on the left against Billericay. Taylor Miles also came in in the midfield with Solomon Baugh replacing Vas Vasiliou in attack.

Like on Tuesday night it was a fast start for the hosts, Nathaniel Orafu went close in the first minute, his dribble found him in space on the edge of the box, but he fired way over. Seven minutes in, Sam Granville also hit one over the crossbar from distance.

The visitors first chance and the first big opportunity of the game fell to Charlie Walker. Hamish Morrison’s ball from the right picked out Walker in the box but he couldn’t hit the target.

Just before the half hour mark, Joe Rose made a great save from Charlie Lambert to stop the Hawks from taking the lead. The Ambers counter-attacked from the resulting corner which got Sam Granville in behind the defence, but they were unable to take advantage.

Charlie Walker had another opportunity as the ball dropped over his shoulder on the edge of the box, his volley was blazed over the crossbar. Rob O’Tooles’ effort looked like it was heading for the target, but Taylor Miles threw himself at the ball and blocked his effort expertly.

A freekick in from Charlie Harris let defender Luca Cocoracchio have a strike at goal after a slip from a Cheshunt defender. But his strike went wide of Joe Rose’s post. Taylor Miles then went very close with a freekick which curled just over the top right corner.

HT: 0-0

It was a positive start to the second half for Cheshunt Taylor Miles’ short corner to Baugh was returned to him as he drove into the penalty area. His shot towards the near post was saved by Mitch Walker.

Orafu then had two chances. The first was an effort way over the bar after a bit of skill from Solomon Baugh. The second was from a ball in from Tichmarsh, his cross to the back post found the head of Orafu, but he was stretching for it so he could only put it wide.

The Ambers made it 1-0 with just over 20 minutes to go. Isiah Noel-Williams drove down the right after linking up with Finley Tichmarsh. Noel-Williams’ cut it back to Nnamdi Nwachuku who was there to put his side into the lead.

Nnamdi came close to scoring again a few minutes later. Chevron McLean made a run down the left and played a ball into the striker. However, he was unable to get it under control and it deflected off him for the goalkeeper to save comfortably.

Sam Granville went close with ten minutes to go. A ball in from Finlay Tichmarsh on the right found Baugh centrally, after a good touch he laid off Granville on the edge of the box who tested Walker down to his right in the Whitehawk goal.

Just before full-time, despite being denied moments earlier, Isiah Noel-Williams put the Ambers 2-0 up. The keeper failed to punch away Vas Vasiliou’s corner. The Whitehawk defender attempted to clear but his kick only went as far as Noel-Williams who the ball hit and went into the back of the net.

This was a much needed and well-deserved win for Craig Edwards and the players. We are back at The Stadium on Theobalds Lane again on Tuesday night as we face local rivals Potters Bar Town.

Tickets Available Here 

Photos courtesy of Scott Lear.  Full Gallery Here

More Match Photos available from the Lens of Amy Eve here