Isthmian League Premier Division Sat 6 April Cheshunt Stadium
  • Orafu (15')
  • Reynolds (18')
  • Nwachuku (67', 82')

Manager Craig Edwards made three switches to the team that was defeated at Enfield on Monday. Goalkeeper Sami Nabbad made his first appearance for the club after featuring on the bench on multiple occasions. Billy Bates returned to defence replacing Enock Ekongo and Nnamdi Nwachuku replaced Antonis Vasiliou in attack.

After a great claim and kick up the right from Nabbad, Titchmarsh picked up the ball. He drove into the space in front of him and had a shot at goal, he caught it well, but it went wide of Nathan Harvey’s post for a goal kick. Cheshunt kept the pressure up, this time Sam Granville looked for his midfield partner Orafu in behind, but it was just overhit and ran through to the keeper. At the other end, Sam Kuffour started really well at left back, dealing with Ola Ogunwamide very comfortably in the opening exchanges, matching the Lewes danger man for pace with some in reserve.

Cheshunt took a deserved lead after fifteen minutes. Sam Granville wouldn’t give it up in midfield, he won the ball twice before passing to Nathaniel Orafu on the edge of the box. Orafu lined it up perfectly and curled it into the bottom corner at the near post. A brilliant finish.

It was two just two minutes later. A scramble at the back made Lewes put it out for a corner. Taylor Miles played the corner to Jamie Reynolds who whipped the ball into the box, it was headed for the top corner when  Lewes’ Ogunwamide at the front post tried to clear but only managed to touch the ball on in the same direction. It was a perfect opening twenty minutes for Craig Edwards’ side.

Just after the goal, Lewes had their first big chance of the match and they started to get more of a foothold in the game. The ball setup for Chris Whelpdale to hit it on the half volley from the edge of the box. He caught it well and kept it on target, but it was well held by Nabbad who started the game very comfortably.

Ola Ogunwamide then tried a freekick from the edge of the box, but it couldn’t dip down in time to find the target. They went close again as early substitute Archie Tamplin’s corner was headed just wide by Arthur Penney.

Lewes continued to put pressure on the Cheshunt defence but there was no real work for Nabbad to do in the first period. Two minutes into added time, Kalvin Lumbombo-Kalala looked set to get a shot on target, but a strong slide tackle from Billy Bates in the six-yard box prevented him from getting the shot away.

HT: Cheshunt 2-0 Lewes

Cheshunt continued to dominate the chances, a ball over the top found Pendlebury, he brought it down and played Nwachuku in behind. His strike was saved out for a corner. The Ambers went closer from the resulting corner, Miles’ cross found Darion Furlong at the back post. He kept his header down and forced a good save out of Nathan Harvey. The keeper was forced into another save moments later as Miles’ freekick from 20 yards out forced him to make a diving save, Orafu then tested the keeper with a low driven powerful effort, it was troubling, but Harvey was on hand to make a save once again.

The Ambers made it three twenty minutes into the second half. A high ball over the top put Nwachuku in space, the keeper beat him to it and tried to clear. However, his attempted clearance only went as far as Nnamdi’s head, it hit him and dropped into an open net. The Ambers kept attacking, Orafu tried another effort from distance, but his strike went just past the post.

Jamie Reynolds found Nnamdi in behind, his first effort was denied by a brilliant block by the defender. It came back out to him, but he made no mistake this time as he put it home at the second time of asking. Despite already being four to the good, the Cheshunt pressure continued Nnamdi went close again with 5 minutes to go but he was denied by a decent save from the keeper.

Lewes had a couple of attacks in additional time but no real chances of note, a story of the match for the visitors. Cheshunt were the much better side throughout the game creating chance after chance. We remain six points above Margate, who won 3-1 at now relegated Kingstonian. There is four huge matches left this season, with a difficult trip to Billericay up next on Saturday.

FT: Cheshunt 4-0 Lewes.