One community. One club.

Cheshunt 4 – 0 Ware

28 Aug 2018

Ambers in convincing win over local rivals Ware to pick up first league win.

Craig Edwards and his Ambers side came into this encounter, fresh off a 1-0 win against Canvey Island in the FA Cup on Saturday. The Ambers made one change, with Yvan Jourdan, coming in for his first appearance of the season, replacing Tom Bruno. Ware fielded four former Ambers in their side, Goalkeeper, Harry Ricketts and David Cowley, with Ben Hart and Ross Elsom, amongst the substitutes.

Cheshunt started the brighter of the two sides, and early on, won a free kick on the left of the penalty area. Patrick Adamson stepped up, whipped in a delicious ball, and put it right on the head of Mark Hughes, to nod past the keeper, for his first Cheshunt goal, and the Ambers had the lead after only 4 minutes.

Jason Hallett was proving to be a constant thorn in the side of the Ware defence, as he worked his socks off up front. Emiel Aiken was the beneficiary of some great Hallett pressing, but the winger couldn’t keep his shot down. Moments later, another free kick was won by Cheshunt, and Adamson again whipped in a dangerous ball, onto Mark Hughes, who flicked it on to Hallett, who beat the keeper to the ball and head home, to make it 2-0 to the Ambers, after 31 minutes.

On a rare foray forward from Ware, Jack Daveney slid an effort just wide for the visitors.

Half time – Cheshunt 2-0 Ware

Right from the second half, Ware blasted straight out the blocks, and almost had a goal back, but for some brilliant goal line defending by Taylor McKenzie, and this changed the game, from the clearance Nathan Koranteng sprinted the length of the pitch, squared the ball for Olu Akinsanya, who saw his effort well smothered by Ricketts, from the resulting short corner, a ball into the box caused mayhem in the Ware defence, and a sliced clearance, hit the back of Ware defender, Louis Bowen, inadvertently putting past his own keeper, to make it 3-0 to the hosts. The Ambers had a good shout for a penalty turned down when Koranteng rounded the keeper but was unable to keep his feet in the challenge, but Cheshunt continued to press on relentlessly anyway. The tricky David Ompreon and the excellent Kyle Roberts, being brought on for some fresh attacking intent, sure enough, the substitutions paid off, with Kyle Roberts winning a free kick, cue another fantastic Adamson left foot delivery, straight into the path of Mark Hughes, who hooked the ball past the keeper for his second and Cheshunt’s 4th of the afternoon.

Late on Roberts produced another of his quick feet mazy runs as he had the previous game, this time sending the full back, centre half & keeper to the tea bar, but seeing his effort cleared from the line. This capped off a fantastic result for Craig Edwards men, which lifting them up to 8th, ahead of their away clash against Ashford Town next Saturday

Back +

Get in touch

Cheshunt FC Shirt and Club sponsors