One community. One club.


07 Jan 2020


A five minute flurry of goals was all it took to finally decide this Isthmian league cup tie after its abandoned first attempt last month. Rain brought the original tie to a halt at half time with Cheshunt in a commanding 3-0 lead when the Referee judged the pitch unplayable. The rearranged game had no such problems for the 62 spectators at Barkings Mayesbrook Park on a night where others possibly opted for the United-City derby on television. Cheshunt Boss Craig Edwards made five changes to the starting line up from the side that beat Kingstonian at the weekend, with the main interest being the debut of on-loan Dartford striker Norman Wabo (or possibly Fotsing Wabo, according to the programme? For the record, wikipedia give his name as Fotsing Norman Arthur Pitoula Wabo.

Barking were by far the brighter side in the first half with Ashman and Dixon bringing out stunning full stretch saves from Cheshunt keeper Harry Girling. The Ambers had little in reply and were glad to hear the half time whistle and go in with the tie still goalless. The second half saw Mark Hughes replace Aruna Kamara in defence and soon after the start Zac Newton ( listed as ‘Issac Newton’ in the programme) came on for Reese Becles-Richards. Moments after his introduction, a penalty was awarded to the Blues and when Mike Dixon slotted the ball past Girling, the gravity of Cheshunts position became apparent (..sorry everyone, too good not to use!) The Isthmian South Central sides lead only lasted three minutes though as the tide turned (still doing it) and a mis-handled shot by Barking keeper Joshua Roach was nudged over the line by Ryan Moss.Two minutes later, a forceful run down the left wing and into the penalty from Wabo saw him cut inside on his right foot and curl the ball inside the far post to give the Ambers the lead. The home sides heads dropped and for the rest of the game Newton and Nelson-Roberts (incorrectly given as the goalscorer of Cheshunts second goal) had the freedom of the flanks, with Shane Cojocarel and Joe Re coming on in the final few minutes. A last-gasp attack in added time by Barking could have forced the tie to penalties but Cheshunt held out.

Back +

Get in touch

Cheshunt FC Shirt and Club sponsors