One community. One club.


30 Nov 2019


A chaotic second-half saw bottom six sides Brightlingsea Regent and Cheshunt forced to settle for a share of the spoils in a 1-1 draw at the Taydal Stadium.

George Bugg had given the hosts an early lead, however Ryan Moss drew the Ambers level in the second-half before three red cards somewhat ruined the game.

Cheshunt Manager Craig Edwards was disappointed to have only taken a point, as he said: “I reckon we would have probably played 20 minutes each half if we’re lucky, all he (the referee) wanted to do was talk to players, call them over, but I warned them about that, I knew what the fella was like.

“Going into the game I knew they were going to be niggly, I knew they were trying to wind us up, I knew they were trying to get us booked, sent off, all that sort of thing, because we’ve had it before with them.

“We missed a hatful of real good chances in the first half, we should have come in two, three goals to the good, but we were a goal down, but I was still quite comfortable and confident that we’d win it.

“At 10 v 10, when they’d had their ‘keeper sent off, we were just awful, we’d been the better side all through the game. But at 10 against 10, the centre-half’s gone in goal, I don’t think he touched the ball.”

Just six minutes in the hosts took the lead as they took advantage of an error at the back from Cheshunt, with George Bugg being allowed to run through on goal and calmly slot home.

The game became scrappy after that and it took 20 minutes for the next real chance to arrive, when Cheshunt debutant Ben Dudzinski was forced into an excellent save to deny William Hunt.

The Ambers had a number of half-chances but failed to test Charlie Turner in the Brightlingsea goal, but then came within inches of levelling as Zack Newton rolled the ball across the goal line, but Ryan Moss was unable to touch it home.

Just two minutes later Turner made an excellent save to deny Moss, sticking an arm out to turn Moss’ strike from 10-yards out behind.

And a third chance in five minutes for Cheshunt was squandered as Ola Williams’ cross dropped to Moss, however Brightlingsea threw bodies in front of the ball and somehow scrambled clear.

Dudzinski had to be at his best to prevent the R’s from doubling their lead against the run of play on the stroke of half-time, as Elliot Johnson got in behind the Cheshunt defence and the Ambers’ shot-stopper made an excellent one-on-one save.

10 minutes after the break Cheshunt deservedly levelled when Zack Newton flicked on Mark Hughes’ ball to Ryan Moss, who was able to poke the ball home past the onrushing Turner.

Shortly after the hour mark, a coming together between Reece Beckles-Richards and George Forrest led to a fracas between the two sides. Forrest and Beckles-Richards were both cautioned for their troubles, however Brightlingsea ‘keeper Charlie Turner and Cheshunt’s Ibrahim Diallo were both given their marching orders.

Defender Josh Gould was forced into goal for the hosts; however, the game became increasingly scrappy after the game became 10 against 10.

The Ambers were then reduced to nine men with two minutes of normal time remaining as Zack Newton received a second caution and was dismissed.

The game saw eight cautions and three red cards which led to 10 minutes of additional time, and in the final minute of added time Brightlingsea struck the post with Dudzinski rooted to the spot, however the nine men of Cheshunt hung on for a point.

Brightlingsea Regent: C. Turner, Howell, Forrest, J. Turner, Boyland, Cripps, Johnson (Gould 68), Brice-Wiffen, Hunt, Bugg, Dunne, Gould. Unused subs: Nazor, Barnett.
Cheshunt FC: Dudzinski, Diallo, Williams, Hughes ©, McKenzie (Nelson-Roberts 20), Cronin, Newton, Camara, Moss (Udoji 90+1), Beckles-Richards, Kassarate. Unused subs: Olusanya, Jabbie, Girling (GK).

Attendance: 131
Referee: Mr. Jordan Sandwell


Back +

Get in touch

Cheshunt FC Shirt and Club sponsors