One community. One club.


24 Feb 2019

Three in a row for The Ambers.

Cheshunt FC made it three consecutive wins and moved up to third as they ground out a 2-0 win over Chalfont St Peter.

A first-half goal from Mark Hughes, filling in at centre-half, and a late strike from Connor Hogan were enough to earn the Ambers all three points.

After the game, a delighted Craig Edwards said: “I’m really pleased. Hughesy’s (Mark Hughes) gone in defence, he’s fantastic wherever you put him, and we’ve kept a clean sheet.

“It quickly became very obvious it was never going to be a flowing game of football, the pitch was dreadful, and we had to settle into the game.

“I thought we should have been home and dry a lot sooner than the late second goal, they didn’t trouble us at all, but we’ve still come away from home and got an ugly win, and it had to be ugly.

”Both sides struggled to find any rhythm in the opening stages, but it was Cheshunt who fashioned the first half-chance, debutant Ashley Nzala crossing for Brian Moses who was unable to turn the ball home.

The Ambers broke the deadlock 20 minutes into the game, Dave Kendall heading Jordan Westcott’s corner down, and Mark Hughes got free to stoop and nod home from close range.

Referee Craig Green then dished out three yellow cards in five minutes with the pitch making tackling tricky, before Connor Hogan almost doubled Cheshunt’s lead as he headed Anthony Sinclair-Furlonge’s terrific centre just wide.

Emeil Aiken had a pair of chances after the break to extend his side’s lead, his tame volley comfortably saved by Carl Dennison, before he headed Sinclair-Furlonge’s cross just over.

Substitute Kyle Roberts was the next to come close for Cheshunt, latching on to Brian Moses’ pullback and had his strike blocked by Ruddock Yala.

Harry Girling was forced into action for the first time two minutes into injury time, claiming Keaton August’s dangerous, fizzing cross on the edge of the six-yard box.

Cheshunt wrapped up the three points in the final minute of added time, as Al-Hafeez Sanusi got on the end of Joe Re’s long ball and knocked it over the onrushing Carl Dennison, leaving Connor Hogan the simple task of tapping home his first goal for the club.

Chalfont St Peter: Dennison, G. Ehui, Goodman, Kirby, Hedley ©, Yala, Rabess (J. Ehui 72), Paine, Debattista (Read 72), Morris, Kalu (August 79). Unused subs: Mullan, Jones.
Cheshunt FC: Girling, Sinclair-Furlonge, Peters, Hughes ©, Aiken (Adamson 77), Kendall, Westcott, Hogan, Moses (Sanusi 87), Nzala (Roberts 81), Re. Unused subs: Lee, Jourdan.

MOTM: Mark Hughes
Attendance: 62

Back +

Get in touch

Cheshunt FC Shirt and Club sponsors