One community. One club.


08 Dec 2019


Cheshunt were unable to build on their previous two games as they slipped to a 1-0 defeat at home to Hertfordshire rivals Bishop’s Stortford.

An early free-kick from ex-Bristol Rovers striker Jamie Cureton proved to be the difference between the sides in a game lacking quality in the final third, with Cheshunt’s efforts to get back in the game dented by Mo Camara’s dismissal.

Cheshunt Manager Craig Edwards bemoaned his side’s slow start and poor discipline as he said: “It’s a disappointing result, but more disappointing was the performance. With all due respect to them (Bishop’s Stortford), I didn’t think they were great, but they were a long way better than us today.

“I wasn’t happy with how we started the game, I thought we were slack, and the first 15 minutes has cost us the game, it’s set the tone. I don’t think there’s many players in the world who are good enough to turn it on and off when they choose, and we started the game so slowly.

“We gave away three bad free-kicks in the first six or seven minutes, all in dangerous areas, the second one has cost us the goal.”

The visitors started the game on the front foot and Cheshunt ‘keeper Harry Girling had to be at his best to deny Alexander Warman, as he pushed away Warman’s half-volley.

However, Jamie Cureton did have his side in front inside 10 minutes as he powerfully drove home a free-kick from 20-yards out.

The Ambers fashioned their first opportunity after some excellent build-up play from Mo Camara and Ryan Moss, with the latter flicking the ball through to Reece Beckles-Richards who fired over.

The game then became quite scrappy as both sides were unable to produce quality inside the final third. But the Ambers did come close to levelling with 10 minutes remaining in the half as Ryan Moss saw his attempted lob cleared off the line by Sam Robbins.

Cheshunt started the second-half much brightly and had two chances in the space of three minutes in the opening knockings after the interval, but were unable to capitalise on their pressure. Bobby Mills played a ball over the top to Beckles-Richards who shot straight at Stortford shot-stopper Frederick Burbridge, before Mills then found Ethan Nelson-Roberts in the box who saw his strike deflected wide.

With 13 minutes remaining the hosts’ efforts to draw level were dealt a blow as Mo Camara received his marching orders for a second bookable offence.

Substitute Shomani Barnwell squandered two late chances to secure the victory for the visitors, however it ultimately didn’t matter as his side hung on for all three points.

Cheshunt FC: Girling, Udoji, Reynolds, Hughes ©, Camara, Cronin, Mills (Olusanya 72), Kassarate (Re 46), Moss (Jabbie 79), Beckles-Richards, Nelson-Roberts. Unused sub: Ghinea.
Bishop’s Stortford: Burbridge, Thomas, Robbins, Henshaw, Charles, Warman, Cureton (Baxter 71), Manu, Westcott, Mason (Barnwell 57), Sweeney. Unused subs: Sampayo, Haines, McClenaghan.

Attendance: 208

Back +

Get in touch

Cheshunt FC Shirt and Club sponsors