One community. One club.


29 Sep 2019


Cheshunt slipped to a second consecutive defeat after finishing the game with nine-men, as Horsham ground out a 1-0 win.

An unfortunate own goal 15 minutes into the second-half by Ibrahim Diallo proved to be the difference between the sides, with the Ambers unable to get back into the game.

Cheshunt Manager Craig Edwards was disappointed with his side’s second consecutive defeat, as he said: “In the first 25 minutes I thought we looked the better side, but from the on there was only one team in it in my opinion, they deserved to win the game.

“They’re a good side, and we went down to 10 and then down to nine, it was very difficult for us because we couldn’t get the ball.

“It was unfortunate that Ibs (Ibrahim Diallo) scored it (The own goal) because I thought he was fantastic today, and he’s not been great the last week. We had a chat before the game, and I said you’ve got to start getting back on it because I think he’s as good as any fullback in the league.

“He’s shown the character today to bounce back and have an outstanding game, for him to get the own goal, there was nothing he could do about it, was really hard.

“What was really disappointing is it’s the second time we’ve conceded a goal like that, where it’s a throw in down our left-hand side and we get outnumbered. The first time it’s disappointing, you learn from it, but we haven’t learnt from it.”

The Ambers looked to take the game to their opponents in the opening stages and created the first opening of the game inside 10 minutes. Dipo Akinyemi won the ball inside his own half, before breaking upfield and picking out Henry Landers whose strike from the edge of the box produced a fine save from George Bentley.

The visitors then looked to assert their authority on the game, and Harry Girling had to be at his best to keep his side level as Chris Smith was picked out by Zack Newton in the box, before his low strike was pushed away by Girling.

In the final five minutes of the half the visitors squandered an excellent chance to break the deadlock as Lee Harding’s dangerous cross across the face of goal evaded everyone before eventually falling to Zack Newton who squared the ball to Chris Smith, but the forward was unable to bundle home.

Smith missed another guilt-edged opportunity to give the visitors the lead with the last action of the half, as he turned Harry Mills’ cross over the crossbar at the front post from inside the six-yard box.

After a quiet opening to the second-half, what proved to be the decisive goal came on the hour mark as Charlie Harris’ dangerous low cross was unfortunately turned into his own goal by Ibrahim Diallo from close range.

The Ambers’ attempts to get back in the game were hampered as they saw two players receive their marching orders, Mark Hughes and Mo Camara receiving second bookings for dissent and persistent fouling respectively.

Cheshunt did fashion one late opportunity to draw level through Akinyemi as he picked up the ball 25-yards from goal, however his curling effort was comfortably saved by Bentley.

Horsham had the chance to wrap-up the victory in the final minute of normal time as Alex Kelly played a perfectly timed through ball to Kieron Pamment who was unable to finish, with Girling quickly off his line to save one-on-one, however the visitors had done enough to secure the three points.

Cheshunt FC: Girling, Diallo, Russell, Hughes ©, McKenzie, Cronin, Edoukou (Olusanya 46), Camara, Akinyemi, Moncur (Westcott 86), Landers (Re 64). Unused subs: Nelson-Roberts, Sappleton.
Horsham FC: Bentley, Mills, Sparks, Kelly, Shelley, Merchant, Newton (Pamment 87), Dawson, Smith (Lavery 66), Harris (Brivio 76), Harding. Unused subs: Hayward, O’Toole.
Attendance: 197
Referee: Mr. Michael Begley


Back +

Get in touch

Cheshunt FC Shirt and Club sponsors