One community. One club.


01 Oct 2019


Cheshunt returned to winning ways after grinding out a hard-fought 1-0 victory over Wingate & Finchley.
The heavy, driving rain and blustery conditions made it very difficult for both sides, and it took a moment of class in the second-half from Dipo Akinyemi to win the game for the Ambers.
Cheshunt Manager Craig Edwards was pleased with the three points but remained frustrated with his side’s performance, as he said: “I went into the office at half-time, and I said ‘I’m scratching my head Pete (Russell)’, I didn’t know what was the matter with us, we were just poor, so poor.
“We’ve got terrific players in midfield who couldn’t pass the ball, we couldn’t hold the ball up front, it was difficult in the conditions in the first-half.
“We had strong words at half-time and I was hoping for a reaction, and we were better second-half but not considerably better.
“The amount of times we got in really good areas, and the final ball, from good players who are really good passers of the ball, was really poor, and it was happening over and over again.
“One bit of real class got us the goal, and the big, big plus again, as I said on Saturday, I thought defensively we were superb.
“We will get better going forward, we have to be. I was very, very disappointed with us tonight, but I was delighted with the result.”
Just two minutes in there was a moment of controversy when Cheshunt’s Sean Cronin committed a foul on the edge of the box and the referee initially pointed to the spot. However, after a discussion with his assistant the decision was changed to a free-kick, which was ultimately dealt with by Ibrahim Diallo.
The first clear sight of goal fell to the visitors, with the wind behind their backs, after 20 minutes, Cronin’s clearance hitting another Ambers shirt and falling kindly to Roman Michael-Percil, but the Wingate forward dragged his effort wide.
Cheshunt’s first chance came just after the half-hour mark as Mark Hughes met Freddy Moncur’s free-kick inside the six-yard box, and forced Shane Gore to react quickly to keep the ball out of his goal.
Minutes later Harry Girling was forced into action for the first-time when Tommy Tejan-Sie’s corner fell to Christian Formo-Joseph in the box, only for his effort to be saved superbly at point-blank range by Girling.
The wind almost came to the assistance of the visitors on the stroke of half-time as it caught hold of Tejan-Sie’s cross from deep on the right-hand side, and blew the ball just inches over the crossbar.


The decisive moment came eight minutes into the second-half through the game’s only real instance of quality, Dipo Akinyemi collecting the ball 25-yards from goal before unleashing a stunning strike into the top corner to score his fourth goal in six appearances.
Wingate struggled to assert any control on the game after falling behind, and their only real chance to draw level came in the final 10 minutes as a low cross-shot by Charlie Ruff from the left was blocked on the line by Cronin.
The Ambers were able to see out the remaining minutes and, despite the conditions preventing both sides from settling into a rhythm, earn a vital three points to climb the table to 14th.
Cheshunt FC: Girling, Diallo, Williams, Hughes © (Landers 37), McKenzie, Cronin, Westcott (Collins 46), Camara, Akinyemi (Olusanya 79), Moncur, Re. Unused subs: Russell, Nelson-Roberts.
Wingate and Finchley: Gore ©, Ifil, Abrahams, Rifat, Formo-Joseph (Njie 59), Grace, Michael-Percil, Oluwatimilehin, Fleming (Ruff 66), Tejan-Sie (McKeown 66), Kennedy. Unused subs: Hale-Brown (GK), Ochieng.
Attendance: 115


Back +

Get in touch

Cheshunt FC Shirt and Club sponsors