One community. One club.


12 Oct 2019


A second half double from Lloyd Dawes handed Worthing the 3 points, after Dipo Akinyemi’s first half header had given The Ambers the lead on a drizzly and blustery Non League Day at Theobalds Lane.

Craig Edwards made 5 changes to the side that were swept aside 3-0 by Leatherhead last weekend, with Mo Camara and Mark Hughes returning from suspension, while Joe Re, Sammy Collins and new signing, Ambrose Gnahore being drafted in for Ibs Diallo, Jordan Westcott and Al Hafeez Sanusi, with Henry Landers also dropping to the bench for one of the aforementioned midfield duo, while Sean Cronin didn’t make the 18 through injury.

The game got underway on a cold and wet afternoon in Cheshunt, with the hosts starting on the front foot, with Akinyemi lashing an effort from 20 yards into the arms of Worthing keeper, Carl Rushworth. Lloyd Dawes was threatening for the visitors, and he forced Girling into a good low save with quarter of an hour gone. Sammy Collins was growing into the game on his return to the side and he was allowed to turn and strike from 25 yards but his effort was comfortably saved by Rushworth. With 22 minutes gone, Cheshunt won the ball high up the pitch through Mo Camara, and he floated in a superb ball for Dipo Akinyemi to cushion back towards the far corner and it floated in to give the Ambers a deserved lead. (1-0 22 mins) The Ambers started winning the ball higher and it nearly paid dividends again as Ola Williams won it and squared for Sammy Collins who’s goal-ward flick was thwarted superbly by Rushworth, who was called into action again moments later , with Freddy Moncur next to test the visiting Keeper, but his effort was grabbed with ease. The remainder of the first half was a cagey affair in midfield, it nearly changed in the 45th minute with Jasper Pattenden’s curling effort going just wide for the visitors. The referee’s whistle brought a good first 45 to an end for The Hosts, who would be looking to keep this up in the second half.

HT – Cheshunt 1-0 Worthing

The second half started and Worthing came out on the front foot, with Dawes causing the Ambers back line problems, and he somehow didn’t scramble home the equaliser on 50 mins, with his effort fizzing across goal and somehow evading either a touch or the inside of the post at the back stick, a let off for the Ambers! The visitors sensed nervousness, and on the 58th minute, they got their reward, when a poorly timed Taylor McKenzie challenge brought down Oliver Pearce, Dawes converted the penalty, to square the game up with 32 minutes left. (1-1, 58 mins). Ibs Diallo, Henry Landers and Jordan Westcott were all brought on to try and tip the game back in the Ambers favour, but the hosts just couldn’t get hold of the second half, and were ultimately punished 15 minutes from time when Dawes got on the turn from 25 yards and his effort snuck under Girling and found the corner to give the visitors the lead, (1-2, 75 mins). The Ambers needed to wake up and carved out one final opportunity to draw level 2 minutes from time when Ambrose Gnahore’s cross flashed across the 16 yard box and Jordan Westcott’s effort was cleared off the line, with what proved to be the final chance of an entertaining fixture,

FT – Cheshunt 1-2 Worthing (FC)



Back +

Get in touch

Cheshunt FC Shirt and Club sponsors