One community. One club.


01 Feb 2020


Cheshunt slipped deeper into the relegation mire after suffering a 3-1 defeat at home to Leatherhead.

Three second-half goals ended a run of three league games without a win for the visiting Tanners, with Ryan Moss’ late effort for the Ambers proving to be nothing more than a consolation.

Cheshunt Manager Craig Edwards was bitterly disappointed with what he saw from his side, as he commented: “It was just an incredibly poor performance, we went to Leatherhead which was by far and away our worst performance of the season, but I thought we’ve got a much changed side and we’ve been playing pretty well lately.

“We could have scored a couple of goals in the first 10 minutes which was the only time we threatened at all, but we were dreadful.

“We didn’t pass the ball I don’t think in the whole of the first-half, we were lethargic, we weren’t at it, and this is against a side we were embarrassed by before.”

The Ambers did start the game brightly and were inches away from taking the lead after five minutes. Mo Camara managed to get a slight touch at the near post from a Reece Beckles-Richards corner, but Zaki Oulah was just about able to prevent the ball from crossing the line.

Sean Cronin was then left wondering how he hadn’t put his side in front as he spooned the ball over the crossbar from inside the six-yard box.

The visitors created very little in the opening 45 minutes, their only real chance falling to Charlie Hester-Cook shortly before the break who saw a well-timed strike comfortably held by Max Huxter.

Cheshunt had a couple of half chances in the early knockings of the second period, before once again a goal line stop ensured the scores stayed level. Leatherhead ‘keeper Oulah came a long way off his line and Ryan Moss was able to knock the ball past him, however as it rolled towards the line the visitors were able to scramble clear.

Those missed chances came back to haunt Cheshunt when the visitors took the lead against the run of the play just after the hour mark as Zachary Robinson flashed a snap-shot in at the near post.

And after the Ambers gave the ball away from the restart it was 2-0 almost immediately, Travis Gregory charging down the left and pulling the ball back for Hester-Cook whose deflected effort found the back of the net.

That quickfire double seemed to knock the stuffing out of Cheshunt who struggled to regain a foothold in the game, and the Tanners added a third in the final 10 minutes. With the Ambers pushing for a route back into the game they were caught out at the back as Robinson broke through on goal and coolly slotted home his second.

The hosts finally got on the scoresheet in added time as Jamie Reynolds headed the ball onto Ryan Moss who finished superbly, but it was too little too late for Craig Edwards’ side.

Cheshunt FC: Huxter, Diallo, Abrahams, McKenzie, Camara, Cronin ©, Newton (Nelson-Roberts 75), Re (Kassarate 46), Moss, Beckles-Richards (Wabo 65), Reynolds. Unused subs: Williams, Hession-Harris.
Leatherhead: Oulah, Lema, Djimaili (Blake 77), Mensah (McNab 75), Seagar, Nnamani ©, Gregory, McGee, Robinson (Figuerido-Correia 85), Hester-Cook, Ikebuasi. Unused sub: Dawkins.

Attendance: 191
Referee: Mr. Lawrence Brown

Back +

Get in touch

Cheshunt FC Shirt and Club sponsors