One community. One club.


01 May 2019


Cheshunt FC progressed to the Bostik League South Central Division Playoff Final as they fought back to defeat Marlow 2-1.

Kameron English had given the visitors the lead in the first-half, before goals from Jason Hallett and Brian Moses after the break ensured the Ambers kept their promotion hopes alive.

Cheshunt Manager Craig Edwards was delighted with his side’s progression, as he said: “In the first-half we were second best in every department.

“At half-time it was a case of ‘Don’t you walk in this dressing room after the game with regrets about your performance, or that you haven’t put it in’.

“The difference was unbelievable, because we battered them in the second-half, and that’s what we’ve been doing to teams over the last couple of months.”

Marlow started on the front foot, and had a penalty shout inside five minutes as Isaac Osei-Tutu latched onto a miscue from Taylor McKenzie and raced through before going down in the box, however the referee waved played on.

The visitors then took the lead, as Chris Ovenden recycled possession from a free-kick and crossed for Kameron English who got free at the back post and tapped home.

It was almost two immediately afterwards, as Marcus Mealing flicked the ball onto English, but this time he dragged wide from the edge of the box.

Cheshunt then grew into the game, and were inches from taking the lead, as Brian Moses headed against the crossbar from Connor Peters’ delivery.

Dave Kendall came even closer to an equaliser on the stroke of half-time, as he met Taylor Miles’ corner but his powerful header was blocked on the line.

After the break Kameron English almost had his second, but he turned Charlie Samuel’s superb cross wide from close range.

After having a goal ruled out just minutes earlier, Jason Hallett drew the Ambers level after the hour mark as he headed a sumptuous cross from Anthony Sinclair-Furlonge into the back of the net.

Just five minutes later the turnaround was complete, as Hallett’s strike partner Brian Moses got in on the act, being played in by Shane Cojocarel before slotting the ball past Simon Grant at the second attempt.

Marlow had an excellent chance to draw level in injury time, as centre-half Adam Richards was pushed forward, and he reached Charlie Samuel’s dangerous cross but somehow failed to turn the ball home.

The Ambers almost added a third late on as Joe Re slipped the ball through to Ashley Nzala who saw his effort saved by Simon Grant, but it wasn’t to matter as the Ambers held on to progress to the playoff final, where Bracknell Town will be the opponents.

Cheshunt FC: Girling, Sinclair-Furlonge, Peters, Hughes ©, McKenzie, Kendall, Miles, Re, Hallett (Nzala 86), Cojocarel, Moses (Sanusi 90+3). Unused subs: Westcott, Adamson, Ademiluyi.
Marlow FC: Grant, Chapple, Marsh-Brown, Bell (Edwards 77), Richards, Gallimore, Romeo, Ovenden, Samuel, Osei-Tutu (Mealing 9), English. Unused subs: Campbell, Bossman, Brown.

MOTM: Brian Moses
Attendance: 271

Back +

Get in touch

Cheshunt FC Shirt and Club sponsors