One community. One club.


15 Feb 2019


Cheshunt came from behind to run out deserved 2-1 winners against a strong Stevenage side, to book their place in the Semi Finals of the Herts Senior Cup. Jack Gibson had given the visitors the lead before goals from Yvan Jourdan and Brian Moses, sent the hosts through.
The Ambers got proceedings underway and they had the first major chance of the game, when Kyle Roberts went on a superb solo run and pulled the ball back to the unmarked Hafeez Sanusi, but his effort was excellently saved by Byrne in the Stevenage goal. Sanusi was casuing problems again moments after turning a defender inside and out before arrowing a low drive across the face of goal and out for a goal kick.
Stevenage were growing into the game and Sonupe, their young winger was giving Peters all sorts of problems, he set up a chance which somehow went begging, when an unmarked Smyth was found in the Cheshunt box but couldn’t get his free effort on target.
Stevenage did open the scoring however and it was a wonder strike from Jack Gibson, cutting in from the left and curling the ball beautifully into the top corner from the edge of the area. 0-1 29 mins.
Cheshunt weren’t to be down for long as they worked their way up the pitch and Yvan Jordan found himself through and calmly slotted home for his 3rd of the season. 1-1 on 33 mins, with whay proved to be the last action of a entertaining first half.
HT Cheshunt 1-1 Stevenage

The second half didn’t follow suit, with this being a rather scrappy affair compared to the 1st 45, the midfield enforcer Mark Hughes was brought on at half time for Cheshunt to allow Yvan Jourdan to play that little bit further forward, and it nearly paid dividends, with his shot being held well by Byrne in the Stevenage goal.
Stevenage had chances of their own too, with young striker Smyth being the main threat, narrowly firing wide after more good work from the tricky Jack Gibson.
Brian Moses was brought on to give Cheshunt a more physical presence against the tiring Stevenage defenders, and his energy brought about a rather freak winning goal. Moses charged down a clearance from Byrne, the ball cannoned back off the big man and eventually looped into the net over the line which was greeted by rapturous scenes behind that goal. 2-1 81 mins.
That goal from Moses proved to be decisive as Cheshunt saw out the remaining 9 minutes and booked their place in the Herts Senior Cup semi-final.
FT – Cheshunt 2-1 Stevenage

Back +

Get in touch

Cheshunt FC Shirt and Club sponsors