One community. One club.


17 Feb 2019

Hughes's Double Derby Delight.

A Mark Hughes double settled a fiery derby in Cheshunt’s favour. The Ambers held off Waltham Abbey 2-1 after being down to ten men from the 34th minute. Craig Edwards made three changes from the midweek win over Stevenage, with Mark Hughes, Brian Moses and debutant Jonathon Munday coming into the side for Taylor McKenzie, Yvan Jourdan and Kyle Roberts.
The first half, like most of the Cheshunt games this season, was cagey and scrappy. Brian Moses and Hafeez Sanusi were causing the Abbey defenders some problems, and the former had the first real chance of the game, fizzing a low cross/shot towards the near post, which was held well by Fred Burbidge in the Abbey goal.
Cheshunt found themselves having more ‘half chances’ than anything clear cut, with Dave Kendall and Connor Hogan both lashing efforts over.
Then came the turning point in the half, a ball bounced just shy of the halfway line, and the debutant Jonathon Munday, careered into the Abbey midfielder with his studs showing, leaving the referee no choice but to give the defender his marching orders, just 34 minutes into his Cheshunt debut.
Harry Girling was then called into action to stop a low drive from former Amber, Nathan Koranteng, who then somehow missed after being found free inside the 6-yard box.
HT – Cheshunt 0-0 Waltham Abbey
The visitors got the second half underway and immediately started to press home their one-man advantage, a barrage of Abbey attacks followed the half time whistle, Koranteng, Ellis Brown and Charlie Edwards all saw efforts blocked or saved. While Christian Assombalonga smashed the crossbar.
Craig Edwards combatted this by substituting on the Speedy Kyle Roberts to try and freshen up the midfield and by sure it paid off, the hassling of Roberts won a corner, which was headed behind, from the next corner, Westcott floated the ball in and Mark Hughes stooped to glance the header home to give the hosts the breakthrough. 1-0 62 mins.
However, Waltham Abbey weren’t to be denied for long as an instant reply brought them level, the ball squirmed through the Cheshunt defence, and found its was to Ellis Brown, who rounded Girling to slot home to bring the Abbey back on terms. 1-1 65 mins.
Just five minutes later, the game changed again, Kyle Roberts was sent down the line by a long ball from Joe Linley, his cross which was heading towards Brian Moses, was handled by the Abbey defender, the referee pointed to the spot, Mark Hughes stepped up and smashed then penalty into the corner. 2-1 71 mins.
Cheshunt were scrapping for every single ball, with a late barrage of Abbey attacks being well marshalled by the defence and keeper, Connor Hogan had one chance to finish the game off, but his effort was well held by Burbidge.
FT Cheshunt 2-1 Waltham Abbey

(Finley Chung)

Back +

Get in touch

Cheshunt FC Shirt and Club sponsors