One community. One club.


06 Feb 2019


FC Romania recorded their first win of 2019 with a 3-2 victory over hosts Cheshunt, who have now lost their first home game this season, at a bitterly cold and wet Theobalds Lane.
Cheshunt manager Craig Edwards made three changes from his sides last outing, with Jack Lee and Connor Peters coming in for their first starts, and Hafeez Sanusi came in for Joe Re.
The first half was a bitterly scrappy affair, with Romania having the first real chance, as some sloppy Cheshunt play saw Chiduben Onokwai denied by a wonderful Harry Girling stop. Romania weren’t to be denied for long though and Sergiu Maximov drilled an inch-perfect pass into the path of George Toban, who drilled the ball past Harry Girling, to give the visitors the lead, just shy of the half hour mark. Cheshunt really struggled to get any rhythm going and their best chance of the half came with five minutes left, Hafeez Sanusi received the ball, and turned the Romania defender inside out, before drilling his low shot straight at Darabant. The first half ended with Cheshunt having plenty of work to do in the second 45.
HT – Cheshunt 0-1 FC Romania


Kyle Roberts made his long-awaited return from injury, replacing Jack Lee in a half time change, and this instantly gave The Ambers more potence in attack. They were on the front foot from the whistle and were camped in the Romania half. Mark Hughes guided a deft header wide and from the resulting corner, Sanusi met Westcott’s terrific ball in, but couldn’t guide his header on target when he ought to have done better. Romania were still a threat on the attack and Adrian Ballsano went through, but saw his lob clip the top of the crossbar.
Cheshunt finally made their pressure pay in the 63rd Minute, when an excellent free kick from Connor Peters was met by the towering Brian Moses, his header was kept out at point blank range, but Mark Hughes reacted quickest to bundle home the rebound, and make it 1-1.
Romania didn’t have to wait long for their second, and a Bursa throw in sent Onokwai through, and the latter made no mistake in slotting past Harry Girling to steal a 2nd for the Romanians and put them back in charge. 1-2
Cheshunt weren’t down for long however as this game took another twist, Hughes again was the dangerman as he was alert to a rebound to smash the ball past the defender on the line to draw Cheshunt level once more. 2-2.
Three minutes later, the game changed again, Romania won a corner, and somehow, Cosmin Sandu beat everybody to the ball to head home, to put the visitors in front for the third time on the night. 2-3
This eventful second half ended with a barrage of Cheshunt attacks, Taylor McKenzie saw a strike chalked off for an infringement and the hosts had two strong penalty appeals turned down.
The Cheshunt players sunk to their knees at full time, knowing well what implications this could have on their play off push, the Romanians were in a buoyant atmosphere after their first win of 2019!
FT Cheshunt 2-3 FC Romania



Back +

Get in touch

Cheshunt FC Shirt and Club sponsors