One community. One club.


02 Mar 2019


Cheshunt produced a stunning comeback to defeat Hanwell Town 4-2 and earn a vital three points.

Hanwell started on the front foot and deservedly led 2-0 before the half-hour mark, before an Ashley Nzala brace and goals from Jordan Westcott and Jason Hallett saw Cheshunt fight back.

After the game, Cheshunt Manager Craig Edwards said: “The first 20 minutes was a follow on from Tuesday, we were dreadful, absolutely shocking.

“We got back in the game by scoring three in 10 minutes, and in the second-half we should have scored a lot more.

“It was pleasing to score four, the fourth goal was sensational. (Jason) Hallett and Ash (Nzala) looked very dangerous, and scored three goals between them which we haven’t done for a long time.”

Cheshunt struggled to get a hold of the ball in the opening stages, and almost found themselves a goal behind as Harry Girling made an excellent save with his feet from Zaine Gangadeen’s effort.

However, Hanwell did find the breakthrough as Louis Bircham volleyed home Gangadeen’s centre from close range.

Mark Hughes came close to drawing the Ambers level, as he got on the end of Dave Kendall’s header, however Aaron Bufton saved well.

Gangadeen then doubled his side’s lead, with Daniel Julienne robbing Dave Kendall and playing in the diminutive attacker who curled into the bottom corner.

Shortly after, Bufton had to be at his best to prevent Jason Hallett from getting his side back in the game as he reacted superbly to tip Hallett’s dipping strike over the crossbar.

The Hanwell shot-stopper then went from hero to zero, as he was unable to make a comfortable save and fumbled Ashley Nzala’s header into his own goal.

Five minutes later Cheshunt were level, Jordan Westcott curling home a stunning free-kick from 25-yards out.

On the stroke of half-time the turnaround was complete, as on his return to the side Jason Hallett latched onto a loose ball and slotted the ball across Bufton into the bottom corner.


Cheshunt started the second-half as they ended the first, and gave themselves breathing room as Ashley Nzala breezed past the Hanwell defence and fired home from just inside the box.

Joe Re almost made it five immediately after but for a superb save from Bufton, before Tom Collins came close for the Geordies, curling just wide of the upright from the left.

Cheshunt continued to dominate the play, and Connor Hogan was the next to come close, his volley from Westcott’s centre being superbly tipped onto the bar by Bufton.

Moments later, Hanwell forged their best opportunity to force a nervy final 25 minutes as Harry Girling parried Collins’ free-kick straight to Jeremiah Maja who was unable to bundle home from close range.

The visitors rarely threatened after that, however the game ended on a sour note as Cheshunt’s Al-Hafeez Sanusi received his marching orders late on following an altercation with Hanwell’s Olly Duffy.

Cheshunt FC: Girling, Sinclair-Furlonge, Peters, Hughes ©, McKenzie, Kendall, Westcott, Hogan (Aiken 83), Hallett (Sanusi 77), Nzala, Re. Unused subs: Adamson, Jourdan, Roberts.
Hanwell Town: Bufton, K. Cathline, Wambeek, O. Duffy ©, Duncan, C. Duffy, Julienne, Bircham (A. Cathline 67), Maja (Chendlik 80), Gangadeen, Waldren (Collins 46). Unused subs: Testolin, Carter.

MOTM: Ashley Nzala
Attendance: 133


Back +

Get in touch

Cheshunt FC Shirt and Club sponsors