One community. One club.


22 Jan 2020


East Thurrock United 2-2 Cheshunt (Cheshunt win 4-3 on penalties)
Velocity Trophy knock-out stage two
Tuesday 21st January 2020

Cheshunt squeezed into the last eight of the Isthmian league cup after a game that swung back and forth right until literally the last kick.
Ambers boss Craig Edwards made seven changes to the side that lost to Enfield Town three days previously with the most notable being a debut for goalkeeper Max Huxter.
A lively start to the game for the 95 spectators who braved the bitter cold soon saw Huxter brought into action. East Thurrock striker Kai Brown rattled the near post and Darren Foxleys effort from the rebound brought a full length save from the keeper. However Frankie Merriefield was on target soon after with a swerving shot from 20 yards giving the home side the lead.
Cheshunt responded well and seven minutes later Jamie Reynolds equalised, passing in a low cross from Ibrahim Diallo. Cheshunt kept up the pressure and were rewarded soon after when, after Mo Camara crashed a header off the crossbar, Norman Wabo controlled the loose ball and acrobatically fired Cheshunt into the lead.

The second half started with a workshop fire behind the Cheshunt goal adding to the freezing mist but when Ethan Nelson-Roberts was judged to have fouled Foxley, the smoke didn’t distract him from cooly placing the resulting penalty away to level the score. In the closing moments Cheshunt could have stolen a winner when substitute Ryan Moss pounced in on a defensive mix-up but shot narrowly wide and then moments later a clear chance for Joe Re was blazed over the bar.

With the rules saying no extra time, the tie went to penalties in front of the curious ‘bus stop boys’ end at Rookery Hill…
Cheshunt skipper Mark Hughes stepped up first, blasting the ball over the crossbar and East Thurrock calmly scored their reply.
Ryan Moss scored then East Thurrock slammed the crossbar to make the scores level.
Sub Sam Cronin emphatically fired into the back net then Brown rolled his effort wide to give Cheshunt the advantage.

Tommie Hession-Harris hit the ball straight down the middle which East Thurrocks Jake Giddens saved with ease, only to be told he had moved and it was to be retaken. The Cheshunt sub aimed for the same spot and the diving Giddens was able to reach back and palm the ball away. East Thurrock scored to level the scored once again.
A Norman Wabo rocket that went in off the underside of the crossbar was followed by another on target by East Thurrock to leave the shoot-out at 3-3 and go into sudden death.
A feeble effort from Rocks skipper Ryan Scott was saved by Huxter leaving big Ibrahim Diallo to step up and send Cuddens the wrong way and Cheshunt into the next round

Cheshunt – 1. Huxter, 2. Diallo, 3. Williams, 4. Hughes(c), 5. Camara (12. Cronin 87 mins), 6. McKenzie, 7. Nelson-Roberts (14. Moss 87 mins), 8. Re (16. Hession-Harris 87 mins), 9. Wabo, 10. Beckles-Richards (15. Newton 71 mins), 11. Reynolds


Back +

Get in touch

Cheshunt FC Shirt and Club sponsors