One community. One club.


16 Oct 2019



Invicta stretched their lead at the top of the table, following a 4-2 win in an entertaining game against Cheshunt, who also played their part in a game that swung one way then the other although by the end end we ran out deserved winners. Once again we fielded the same team as the previous game, with the only change being to the substitutes’ bench where Ian Draycott was replaced by deputy goalkeeper Henry Newcombe returning to the squad.
Our opponents made two early half chances as firstly Afolabi Akinyemi played the ball though to Mo Camara who won the ball but there was no one to take advantage and the ball was cleared and then, after Matt Newman had headed the ball to Freddy Moncur, his cross was plucked out the air by Tim Roberts.
We then started to get into the game with Ira Jackson and Jerson Dos Santos working hard to create chances against a resolute Cheshunt defence that put their bodies on the line charging down shots from both as well as Saturday’s scorer Kieron McCann, although Dos Santos really should have scored when put through, but he delayed his shot allowing the goalkeeper, Harry Girling, to save. However, on 23 minutes Jackson scored an excellent goal as having received the ball from Scott Heard on the edge of the area, he curled an unstoppable shot past Girling’s despairing dive. Within a minute we almost doubled our advantage as Dos Santos charged down Girling’s clearance, but in a frantic dash towards the goal the keeper cleared for a corner, there were claims that the ball had crossed the line, but unfortunately the Assistant Referee had slipped over and was lying face down on the touchline!
Micheal Everitt played the ball to Josh Vincent, who in turn played it on to Scott Heard and again his shot was charged down and then Jackson also saw another shot cleared for a corner from which Newman nodded over. However, just when things were looking comfortable, Invicta suffered two shocks within two minutes as our opponents took a 2-1 advantage. Firstly Sammy Collins saw his shot charged down, and former West Ham United player Freddy Moncur followed up to slot the ball past Roberts. They then won a free kick following a foul by Ronnie Dolan, who was perhaps slightly fortunate not to pick up a yellow card, the ball was played long and an unmarked Camara nodded the ball over the advancing Roberts, who appeared to be a bit hesitant coming off his line. Things could have got worse as following a long throw by Camara, skipper Mark Hughes nodded the ball on but fortunately there wasn’t anyone at the far post to finish with what have been a simple tap-in.
Things then started to turn a bit feisty and Collins received the first caution of the game following a foul on Alfie Paxman and from the free kick Everitt nodded the ball wide and then Vincent got behind the Cheshunt defence but his cross was collected by Girling at his near post. Our opponents then had one final chance when following a poor ball out of defence Collins saw his shot easily saved by Roberts. So, we went into the break 2-1 down, but the feeling was that there would be more goals and that we could count ourselves a bit unlucky to be losing, although Cheshunt deserved credit for their defending.

At the start of the second half Cheshunt made a change with Ambrose Gnahore being replaced by Joe Russell, but we started in a similar vein, Jackson and Dos Santos combined well to give Scott Heard a shooting chance but he put it wide. In the 58th minute Heard was again involved as he created our equaliser when he supplied the through ball for Dos Santos, ? who showed great skill in beating three defenders in a limited space before slotting the ball home. As Heard had played the ball through he was caught by Sean Cronin, but Referee, Ian Fissenden, played a good advantage and then went back to show the Cheshunt defender a yellow card and shortly after Hughes joined him in the Referee’s notebook for a foul on Jackson.
Jackson and Dos Santos were now tormenting the Cheshunt defenders and the pair combined well but the former was clinically brought down by Taylor McKenzie as he ran onto a through ball, which earned the defender a booking although on another day he may have been shown a red card as Jackson would have been through on goal had he not been fouled. Jackson got up to take the free kick himself, but from about thirty yards he curled the ball over the bar. Invicta kept pressing and on 68 minutes we finally got the breakthrough as after Dos Santos’ shot had been deflected for a corner, McCann’s cross was met at the far post by Vincent who slid in to turn the ball into the net. We then suffered an injury blow as Newman had to go off with a dead leg and he was replaced by Finn O’Mara, hopefully he will be fit for Saturday, but more news on that later in the week. Everitt then became our first and only yellow card of the evening when he was cautioned for a foul on Ola Williams.
Although we were now the dominate team, Cheshunt were still looking dangerous on the break and Roberts was forced to tip a dangerous looking cross from Akinyemi over the bar. In the 74th minute we extended our lead when Jackson and McCann combined to get the ball to Paxman and from twenty-five yards he hammered home a vicious curling shot which hardly got off the ground to give Girling no chance as it nestled in the corner.
We then made two substitutions as Johan Ter Horst replaced Ronnie Dolan and Stephen Smith then came on for his home début as he replaced Jerson Dos Santos and straight away he caused concern for the Cheshunt defence. Firstly he ran onto a free kick and did well to get his cross in but again the shots were charged down and then he probably should have scored as following a good run and low cross from Vincent he couldn’t quite get his shot away. There was just time for our opponents to pick up their fifth booking when in the dying minutes substitute Joe Re was booked for a foul on Everitt.


Back +

Get in touch

Cheshunt FC Shirt and Club sponsors