One community. One club.


05 Oct 2019


Cheshunt slipped to a 3-0 defeat at the hands of Leatherhead whose victory saw them move within a point of the Ambers.

First-half strikes from Ibrahim Olutade and Travis Gregory put the Tanners into a commanding lead at the break, and Tommy Wood added a third after the interval as Cheshunt were unable to get back into the game.

Cheshunt Manager Craig Edwards was bitterly disappointed with the result, as he said: “We started off well, we were knocking it about well and looked the most likely to score, but missed a couple of chances.

“They’ve scored a goal, albeit very fortuitously because it’s never a corner and the referee’s admitted that, so fair play, if he’s got it wrong it’s an honest mistake.

“We didn’t deal with the corner at all well, and they’ve scored, the second goal was poor as well from our point of view, but the reaction too it was woeful.

“The players I’ve brought in haven’t got what it takes to play for one of my sides, I’ve built a reputation on having sides that are horrible to play against, hard to beat.

“I said to them, they are so many spineless people in this team, that will rollover when things aren’t going well, there was no fight.”

In the opening half-hour the Ambers started brightly and had a number of chances to break the deadlock, the first of which came when Dipo Akinyemi’s long throw fell to Ethan Nelson-Roberts who fired over with his first-time strike.

Another opportunity was squandered minutes later, Freddy Moncur delivering an excellent cross for Hafeez Sanusi who leapt above his man but failed to keep his header down.

Cheshunt shot-stopper Harry Girling was forced into action for the first-time 17 minutes in as he pushed away Eddie Dsane’s free-kick at the near-post, and the fast-paced start to the game continued when Akinyemi’s powerful strike from the left took a slight deflection onto the crossbar.

Just after the half-hour mark Leatherhead took the lead somewhat against the run of play, as Travis Gregory squeezed a low cross across the face of goal and Ibrahim Olutade was on hand to tap home at the back post.

The Tanners then doubled their lead in similar fashion just before the break, Callum Driver’s cross from the right reaching Gregory who volleyed home unchallenged at the back post.

Just after the hour mark the hosts stretched further clear when Olutade’s free-kick cannoned against the upright and dropped to Tommy Wood inside the six-yard box, who had the simple task of slotting home into an empty goal.

Wood would have made it four with 20 minutes remaining if not for an excellent save from Harry Girling, the Leatherhead forward being played in by Travis Gregory before Girling made a superb save his feet.

The Ambers had chances to pull a goal back in the last 15 minutes, Daniel Akindayini shooting straight at Leatherhead ‘keeper Zaki Oualah before the Tanners’ shot-stopper then made a terrific save from Joe Re’s searing half-volley.

Cheshunt had shouts for a penalty waved away with five minutes remaining as Akindayini’s effort appeared to strike an arm, and the hosts saw out the remaining minutes to earn a deserved three points.

Leatherhead: Oualah, Driver, Lema, Hester-Cook (Macnab 73), Salmon ©, Nnamani, Gregory, Mensah, Wood, Olutade (Ikebuasi 75), Dsane (Sardinha 85). Unused subs: Dawkins.

Cheshunt: Girling, Diallo, Williams, Nelson-Roberts (Re 70), McKenzie ©, Cronin, Westcott, Moncur, Akinyemi, Landers (Akindayini 64), Sanusi (Russell 70).

Attendance: 311


Back +

Get in touch

Cheshunt FC Shirt and Club sponsors