One community. One club.


29 Dec 2018

The Ambers take the Derby bragging rights.

With this reverse Ware’s record of league wins, draws and defeats now reads 6-6-6. Whatever your feelings about the mark of the beast there was no superstitious influence over this result with Cheshunt’s second half performance making them deserving of the points.
The first half had been an end to end contest between Cheshunt’s long ball game with balls pumped up for Jason Hallett and Oluwole Akinsanya to chase, and Ware’s probing attacks to break down a well organised defence. This difference in styles provided its own twist on the first half entertainment though the game never quite rose to the heights.
Cheshunt’s approach was to close Ware down quickly and to make life difficult for the home midfield with Dave Cowley in particular getting close attention. This did upset Ware’s normal rhythm but even so they had plenty of chances before the break.
Brandon Adams’ snap shot from wide was cleared by Bobby Mason into the open space of his penalty area with no-one from Ware on the scene to make the most of it. A through ball from Cowley then saw Adams volley wide before Frazer John’s run from deep ended disappointingly when his final ball evaded Adams.
Cheshunt’s striking duo were always a danger whenever the ball was cleared upfield. Hallett tried an overhead kick that dropped into Anthony Page’s hands after just three minutes and then failed to connect with a through ball ten minutes later. Meanwhile Akinsanya muscled his way through the home defence on 35 minutes but then shot high and wide.
Just before half time a collision in the Cheshunt area saw Mason go down with what looked like a leg injury. After treatment he was back on his feet to save a shot from Albert Adu in added time but didn’t reappear after the break.
Instead outfielder Asher Silverman took over and it seemed Ware had been handed an advantage. But they failed to make the most of it and Silverman’s qualities as a keeper were never really tested.
At the other end of the pitch Cheshunt started to apply real pressure with Ware unable to clear or work the ball forward. They were just not getting past the Cheshunt defence often enough to get a shot on Silverman’s goal.
If there was inevitability about the Cheshunt goal it still looked to have been much too easy for them. With twenty minutes to go a Ware ball forward didn’t get much further than the half way line before being hefted back up field. With the home defence caught off guard Akinsanya had an easy run in on Page before hitting the ball past him and into the net.
Ware fought hard for an equaliser especially after going three at the back and bringing on John Frendo in the closing minutes of the game. However, Cheshunt had played the right tactics in the second half to put pressure on the home side and protect Silverman from any serious trouble and there just wasn’t enough time to change that.
Adams did come close in the second minute of added time but his shot from the same narrow angle from which he had scored in the two previous matches was this time across the face of goal and off for a goal kick. It was not to be his or his team’s day with Cheshunt’s control of much of the second half earning them the points.

(With thanks to Stephen King and the Ware FC website for the report)

Back +

Get in touch

Cheshunt FC Shirt and Club sponsors