One community. One club.


25 Oct 2018


Tuesday 23rd October 2018. Herts Senior Challenge Cup ~ Round 1
Kings Langley 1 (Connolly 38 pen.) Cheshunt 2 (Hughes 60, Adamson 70)
This was another disappointing result for Kings Langley as they continued to try to solve the puzzle of producing good performances with little or no reward. As is customary, Kings used the occasion of the Herts Senior Challenge Cup to give opportunities to fringe players to show what they can do and the trio of Louie Collier, Evans Lamboh and Toby Syme, with an average age of 19, acquitted themselves extremely well, so much so that Louie Collier was named Kings’ Man of the Match.
It was a definite positive for manager Steve Conroy on a night that the same problems resurfaced, namely a lapse in defence being punished by a Mark Hughes header from a free kick on the hour to draw Cheshunt level and a retreat before the run of Patrick Adamson, allowing him to drive a shot home ten minutes later to effectively settle the tie. However, the abiding memory of the night will be the performance of visiting goalkeeper Bobby Mason, who pulled off two outstanding double saves in the last twenty minutes as Kings did everything but put the ball in the net.
He signalled his intentions in the seventh minute when Rene Howe swivelled smartly on a cross to unleash a shot that Mason somehow held, but the keeper was unable to do anything about skipper Gary Connolly’s well taken penalty (after Mitchell Weiss had been brought down in the box) that gave the home side a 38th minute lead. Cheshunt’s Yvan Jourdan had missed two good opportunities prior to this, but Kings were turning on the style in midfield, with one particular flowing move between Collier, Weiss and Adebiyi worthy of a goal of the season, only to be denied by that man between the sticks again.
As the second half began, Louie Collier and Evans Lamboh were combining well down the right, one particular move almost letting in Gary Connolly, but it was somewhat against the run of play in an all-action encounter when Hughes headed in the equaliser. It signalled a poor ten minute spell for Kings as saviour Jorell Johnson was forced to clear off the line and then Cheshunt went ahead a minute later. The last twenty minutes was virtually all Kings as Mitchell Weiss had Mason at full stretch to block his shot and Evans Lamboh’s fierce follow up produced a second save as he tried to get up. If that was spectacular, the heroic custodian surpassed even that with an almost identical last minute double save from Rene Howe and Jorell Johnson that left Kings wondering what they have to do to produce a goal from open play. A bad night, but a beam of light from the youngsters!


Back +

Get in touch

Cheshunt FC Shirt and Club sponsors